Monday, November 23, 2015

What They Don’t Tell You Before and After The Baby is Born

The hospital waiting game...
I wanted to hopefully help someone by listing some things that I felt I didn’t know, or didn’t know enough about, before having my baby...

Don’t bring a lot of things to the hospital - We’ve all done it. Go onto Pinterest, see dozens of pins about what people brought with them to the hospital. From cute nursing gowns, the perfect nursing pillow and personal hygiene products. I’m here to tell you the hospital will have 90% of the things you’ll need. I won’t lie, I brought the cute nursing gown. Didn’t wear it (I had my reasons). I wouldn’t bring a boppy (you’ll have a plethora of hospital pillows at your disposal). And as far as personal hygiene products, I bought a small bag that had travel essentials already in it. From deodorant, to shampoo and conditioner...even tissue! Bring your personal items (wallet etc.), laptop and/or iPad and a change of clothes to go home in. For the baby? Just a going home outfit and pacifier--see later point on this one. The carseat can stay in the car until it’s time to go home. The worst is when you bring too much and have to have your family or significant other make multiple trips to the car to bring things out before wheeling you out. If your significant other is staying overnight, they will need a change of clothes and minimal personal items. My husband went for a few runs so workout gear was essential for him.



Tearing - this is the kind of info you glance over in baby class as an extreme and don’t really think about it...until it happens to you. I had a second, borderline third, degree tear. I was stitched and it look about a month to heal. I could not get around on my own. My husband had to lift me out of bed and practically carry me to the restroom. They will give you a peri bottle because you absolutely can not use toilet paper. They will also give you (in my case) ice pack maternity pads and tucks pads (witch hazel soaked) for recovery. 


Take everything at the hospital - I’m not going to lie, I ransacked the place. Newborn diapers? Check. Wipes? Check. I asked for more tucks pads and iced maternity pads to bring home. Even the blue absorbent underpads! I put them on the changing pad as an extra precaution during those first few weeks. Who wants to keep washing the changing pad cover? Point is, the things are there for your consumption. So don’t feel bad about taking it. We brought the nursing staff Panera bagels and coffee both days...so pretty sure we were their favs and wouldn’t have minded giving us a few more extras. Definitely something to think about if you can do it. They will certainly appreciate it and it’s the least you can do for all of the help they’re giving you...especially if you’re a first time mom!


Do not use soothies - this is a personal opinion. If you ask for a pacifier at the hospital, this is what they will bring you. They’re a very common newborn choice. But fast forward a couple of months and try giving your little one a different pacifier. It could be impossible...like it is with my Charlotte. And of course our wonderful WubbuNubs are soothies. Maybe try mixing them up in the beginning so they will take something other than the soothies.


No time or energy to work out - So you’re ready to start getting back into shape post baby. Exercise is a great form of stress relief and gives you some much needed alone time. However, try finding the time to consistently work out. Even when you finally have some time, finding the energy can be difficult. I worked out throughout my pregnancy. Unfortunately, a couple months before conceiving my daughter, I suffered a miscarriage. My doctor told me to keep the weightlifting to a minimum (don’t exceed 20lbs) and make sure cardio wasn’t too intense. So luckily, when I finally did start working out a bit after baby, I wasn’t in too poor of shape. But still, it’s going to be difficult to maintain the same workout regimen after baby.


Postpartum Depression - something that no one likes to talk about but a lot of women experience. For the first couple of weeks I found myself incredibly weepy. It’s confusing because you are thrilled with your beautiful new baby but mourning the life that you once knew. It’s true, your life is changed forever. But slowly, you will bring yourself out of the fog and get into a new groove. Just know that what you're feeling is only temporary. It always helps to talk it through with someone who will not judge you -- my husband was an incredible support system. If you start to think that it could be more than just the ‘baby blues’ seek help.


Postpartum Hair Loss - I made it about 5 months before this awful side effect. You know that  luxurious hair as a result of pregnancy? Yeah, kiss that goodbye. All of that hair that wasn’t being shed finally decides to start falling...and you may start to worry. They say it should stop by the time your little one is around a year old. So if you’re worried, take my route and invest in some good volumizing products.


Baby Clothes - Newsflash: unless you’re a social butterfly who has a million places to be post baby and you can actually make it out of the door...you won’t need to be buying a ton of super cute outfits. Don’t fall into the trap! My little gal practically lived in sleepers for the first few weeks. Besides, save all of those amazing outfits for when they’re toddling around. That little swing coat and fringe booties will look adorbs! Tip: Carters white onesies!


First period after baby - stock up on overnight super absorbent pads and tampons. Trust me.


What 'sleep through the night' what it really means - I’m sure you’ve seen it on many mommy blogs, STTN aka sleeping through the night. Well I have news for you. Our definition of sleeping through the night and a newborn’s definition is quite different. Ours is a nice 8 hours maybe? For a newborn, sleeping through the night is 5 hours. It’s definitely tough at first, but you will make it through this time! Take those 2am feedings and enjoy them. I know it doesn’t seem like it now, but you will miss these times. My little one was born at the end of May, and was up almost every hour at night (except for a few fluke nights) until the beginning of October. And just like that, she started sleeping nearly 12 hours. This too shall pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment