Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Shamrocks -- Because It's Irish American Heritage Month

2 years ago I purchased my first Shamrock plant --  or to be more scientifically accurate, Oxalis Regnellii. Due to a horrid miscalculation on my part, my beloved shamrock plant died last summer after  our summer vacation. 
I grew up with what seemed like the same shamrock plant in the kitchen for 10+ years. Not only because a) it is an Irish American household but b) because they are meant to bring good luck. So when St. Patricks Day rolled around in 2012, I was quick to nab up my very own. They are very easy to maintain  (you know, as long as you don't leave it unattended with a useless watering device for a long period of time) and produce beautiful little white flowers. 
So this week, as is custom in most grocers in March, my grocer rolled out the plants. Have I mentioned that my birthday is also on St. Patrick's Day? Yep, I'm very lucky! And of course, I had to pick one up and sware an oath never to neglect it! 




Sidenote: I'm on the hunt for a much more attractive pot for my beloved shammies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment